Friday 9 March 2012

First Dance Friday: Throwing Muses


 Kristen Hersh and Tanya Donnelly were a natural extension of the Sylvia Plath/Carol-Ann Duffy fest that was my teenage life. Not only did these women make incredible music as Throwing Muses, they also wrote lyrics with stark, weird imagery that grabbed you by the hair and dragged you right inside their crazy world. I still can't decide if Throwing Muses are pop music, or the antithesis of it. My favourite albums are the post-Donnelly Limbo (smooth college rock) and the Fat Skier/House Tornado CD (tits-out bonkers), so maybe the answer is both. And why not?

This song though, is simply beautiful. One of those songs where you can't believe that somebody actually sat down and wrote it. More likely it has always existed somewhere, sealed in amber, waiting to be discovered.

After their initial split, both Hersh and Donnelly (step-sisters) went on to have moderately successful solo careers. I still think a lot of that output is patchy, bar Tanya Donnelly's Love Songs For Underdogs which is one of my all-time favourite albums, and one of the few old CDs that I still listen to on a regular basis. Pure and simple loved-up pop bliss, smart lyrics and seriously catchy tunes. Lots of potential first dances on that one.

Happy Friday one and all, may your weekends be merry and bright. Having had one of those gut-punchers of a week I'm really looking forward to seeing some of my favourite people over the next couple of days. And relax....

No comments:

Post a Comment