Friday 6 April 2012

First Dance Friday: Sparklehorse

All the Buddhist stuff about living in the moment is totally beyond me. Why enjoy the present when you can worry yourself to death about what's around the corner?

So although I can honestly say I'm not a girl who had my wedding planned out, I would be lying if I said I'd never thought about mine and Sam's first dance before we got engaged. I thought about it all the time, and worried about the fact that we didn't have a song. You know, an Our Song. Apart from Pump Up The Jam, by Technotronic.

My answer to this was to drip-feed Sam mix CDs with amazing slow, cute songs tucked in with the party tunes, in the hope that he would love one of them and it would magically become Our Song. Of course, my plan failed. He would always skip forward to something like "On Our Own" by Bobby Brown (the theme from Ghostbusters 2) and then we would do the rap together (too hot to handle/too cold to hold/ they're called the Ghostbusters/ and they're in control) and yet again we would have another Our Song that was wildly inappropriate for a first dance.

I wrote a post about the Todd Rundgren song I snuck on.  Here is another:



I like it because of the "You are a car/ you are a hospital" nonsense lyrics, which is sort of what Sam talks like. Sometimes he says that sort of thing to the cats "hello little horsies, galloping through the forest!" and it's vaguely ridiculous and also contagious to the point where we no longer refer to anything by its proper name any more. I also like this song, because it is completely beautiful. And it's also very short (which is the number one thing to look for in a first dance song - you will only feel an idiot dancing to the extended version of Free Bird while everyone gawps at you wondering when the flashmob starts).

I had thought Sam didn't really like it when I put it on the CD.  Then it came up on shuffle the other day and he got all excited and said "oooh, what's this, I know this, I LIKE THIS SONG!"

Never mind. At least we didn't go with Ghostbusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment