Tuesday 15 May 2012

Style Me Sweaty

I've really enjoyed reading about the exploits of those taking part in Style Me May. I am SO jealous of you all.

Fitness and workout clothes are about as far from my personal style as it is possible to get, and yet this is what I have to wear 5 days a week. 6 days if I'm working Saturday. Oh go on then, 7 days a week, because I always go to the gym on my day off too.

Look at the horrible outfits. LOOK:






*shudder*

None of those people own anything by Sonic Youth, do they? 

I have spent the last three years working in the fitness industry, and (aside from retro shorts with contrast piping over jazzy leggings - my only real "look") I still haven't worked out how to not dress like a gym bunny clone. I've tried Flashdance-inspired batwing t-shirts, but the fabric flops all over the place and stops people seeing what I'm doing when I'm demonstrating exercises. I've tried vintage sportswear but none of it is designed for you to actually sweat in (nylon= quite obviously NO). Sweatbands are great, but if you're not going to an 80s theme party they actually make you look extra-sporty, like you're a professional tennis player. And as for legwarmers? Newsflash: if you don't mind something making your legs warm while you're exercising then (whisper) you're not doing it right.

I miss the days of working in a television production office. The days of high heels and floral dresses and casual blazers. Jumpers without hoods. DENIM.
Tell me, fashionistas. If you were a fitness instructor, what would you wear?

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Okay, I don't work it fitness but I do work in a lab where it makes no difference at all what I wear because it's all under a lab coat and furthermore there is a chance that nasty smelling chemicals or bacteria will be spilt, so there would be no value in wearing anything nice. SIGH.

    I can't wait to get a job where I can wear SKIRTS. And shoes that don't have to cover my entire foot just in case some dingbat chucks acid around the floor.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, a uniform is even worse! I have to wear one at my part-time job, and am forever "losing" my beautiful logo fleeces and name badge. You are going to LOVE those skirts and shoes when you get there!

      Px

      Delete
  2. My personal favourites are those Zumba branded clothes. Lots of neon and bright writing across the bum, always a good look! I can't offer any advice on nice gym wear though, mine is very much the baggy tshirt 'look'.

    Working in an office again is nice because I like to feel smart but last time I worked in one was 2.5 years ago and none of my officey trousers fit me just now :( Production office was good because anything goes, except maybe gym wear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I'd appreciated my production office wardrobe opportunities more! I used to test-drive ridiculous heels at work all the time. Fingers crossed once you've banked a bit of cash from the new job you can go on a workwear shopping spree and get some new stuff to feel extra-good in.

      Px

      Delete
    2. I just need to get my arse back to the gym so they fit again!

      Delete